Resources for Media
Pacific Islands Roundtable for Nature Conservation
The Pacific Islands Roundtable for Nature Conservation (PIRT) was established in 1998 as a coalition of nature conservation and development organisations, governments, inter-governmental agencies, donor agencies, and community groups created to increase effective conservation action in the Pacific Islands Region. PIRT is the key coordination mechanism for the implementation of the endorsed Framework for Nature Conservation and Protected Areas in the Pacific Islands Region 2021–2025. The SOEC report is a monitoring mechanism for the implementation of the Framework.
In November 2020, the 10th Pacific Islands Conference on Nature Conservation and Protected Areas brought together leaders, technical experts, community representatives and decision-makers who are active in understanding and building relationships with nature in the Pacific islands region. Conference tracks were arranged in accordance with the SOEC 2020 and the Framework. Videos from all conference sessions are available on YouTube. Further info on the Conference is available until September 2021 at https://www.pacificnatureconference.com/.
About the Inform Project
SPREP supports Pacific island countries through the Inform Project (2017–2022), providing environmental information for decision-makers. The SOEC 2020 is a keystone output, grounded in the national State of Environment reporting process and enhanced knowledge sharing via the Pacific Environment Portal.
Data and knowledge resources
A growing number of knowledge portals, data libraries and programmatic or project-related collations of data, knowledge products and communication materials are available to support Pacific environmental management. The following non-exhaustive summary provides external links to the major resources used during the preparation of the State of Environment and Conservation in the Pacific Islands.
Core data resources and monitoring tools, Pacific region:
- Pacific Environment Portal
- Pacific Islands Protected Areas Portal
- SPREP Virtual Library
- Pacific Data Hub
- Pacific Regional Invasive Species Management Support Service
- Pacific Climate Change Portal
- PacWaste information portal
- PacWastePlus project portal
- Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency's Future of Fisheries Roadmap and Report cards
Core data resources and monitoring tools, global:
- InforMEA: United Nations Information Portal on Multilateral Environmental Agreements
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species
- World Database of Protected Areas
- International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) Statistical Profiles
- Ocean Data Viewer, UNEP-WCMC datasets
- Ocean+ data library
- UN Food & Agriculture Organization’s FAOSTAT
- UN FAO’s Global Forest Assessment
- Species+ for Convention on Migratory Species (CMS) and Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES)
- UNFCCC Climate Finance database
- CAIT Climate Data Explorer and Climate Watch
- WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme on Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene
- ESCAP Asia-Pacific SDG Gateway
The State of Environment and Conservation in the Pacific Islands: 2020 Regional Report was made possible through the support of the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP), the Inform Project (supported by the Global Environment Facility, implemented by UN Environment Programme, executed by SPREP), le Fonds Pacifique, Pacific-European Union Marine Partnership programme (PEUMP), Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), 10th Pacific Islands Nature Conference and the Pacific Islands Roundtable for Nature Conservation (PIRT).
The views expressed in this publication are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of these supporting Governments or agencies.
Web design and development by Aeski & Eighty Options Pty Ltd
Graphic design of the report by The Little Design Company